We know we are supposed to be active. In fact, the recommendation is for adults to fit in at least 30 minutes of activity each day. We also know that when you are just getting started and have a packed schedule, finding the time in the day to move can be one of the biggest challenges. Well, here’s a suggestion for you!
Adults spend the majority if our waking hours each day at work, so it just makes sense to try fitting in valuable minutes of movement while you’re at work. In addition to the physical health benefits, taking a physical activity break is good for managing stress and your mood, and it may even help you to focus when you return to your work.
Here are some ways to fit it in:
- Walking at work is one of the easiest ways to fit in your 30 minutes of movement
- Try walking meetings
- Start a walking group
- Try more active communication like walking to you co-worker’s area instead of sending an e-mail.
- Initiate active applause at your meetings- everyone gets a standing ovation!
- Take the stairs. Did you know that just 2 minutes of stair climbing a day can help most adults avoid typical annual weight gain? The benefits of choosing the stairs over elevators (or even walking up escalators) can add up over time.
- Take physical activity breaks if you sit down for most of the day. Check out these exercises and try them at your workstation.
- Consider an active commute. Could you walk to the train or bus? Could you bike to work? Could you park further from the entrance of the building?
- It’s easy to have an excuse when you don’t have what you need to stay active, so leave a pair of sneakers at work and toiletries in your desk or locker so you are always prepared.
Hopefully, with spring upon us, you will take the time to get out from behind that screen and up out of that chair to fit some fitness in like Christie Tran does daily in her nail salon. And don’t forget to share your moves with us! #mymovesmyway