Take a Walk in the Park with
We Walk PHL
Taking a walk in one of Philly’s many parks is a fantastic way to step into spring, meet your neighbors, and improve your health. We Walk PHL is a FREE walking program in 12 parks around the city brought to you by Get Healthy Philly, the Fairmount Park Conservancy, and Philadelphia Parks and Recreation.
We Walk PHL seeks to increase positive use of Philadelphia’s parks, encourage active living, and provide opportunities for people to pursue wellness goals while connecting with neighbors.
All Philadelphians with an interest in walking (and rolling) are welcome. Male or female, young or old, walking or rolling— ALL people are encouraged to participate.
Walking group leaders are recruited from the communities surrounding the parks and receive training from We Walk PHL program staff. Walks take place 1-3 days per week at each site, and last around an hour.
The official fall program kicks off on September 1st and will continue through October 31st, though many groups continue to walk in the «off-season».
Fall 2019 Schedule:
- It’s effective in improving many aspects of health. Regular walking can improve sleep and boost energy levels.
- It’s low skill – no special training necessary!
- It’s accessible for all ages and abilities and available just outside your door. “Walking” includes “rolling” for people in wheelchairs or using assistive devices.
- Walking decreases depression, anxiety, and stress levels.
- It’s our favorite price – FREE! All you need are comfortable shoes and you are ready to walk.
- The health benefits add up. Regular walking helps you meet American Heart Association recommendations of 150 minutes of moderate physical activity per week.
- You can walk for recreation or transportation.
- It’s environmentally friendly – it does not cause pollution like motorized vehicles.
- It builds social connections – walking with a group is a fun way to meet people or strengthen existing relationships.
- It serves as a break from work or study.
- Taking a walk in nature helps to clear your mind.
We’ll see you soon for a walk in the park!