Taking a walk in one of Philly’s many parks is a fantastic way to step into fall, meet your neighbors, and improve your health. We Walk PHL is a FREE walking program in many parks around the city brought to you by Get Healthy Philly, the Fairmount Park Conservancy, and Philadelphia Parks and Recreation.
And don’t worry – special precautions are in place so that participants can remain safe.
We Walk PHL seeks to increase positive use of Philadelphia’s parks, encourage active living, and provide opportunities for people to pursue wellness goals while connecting with neighbors – from at least 6-feet apart, of course.
All Philadelphians with an interest in walking (and rolling) are welcome. Any gender, young or old, walking or rolling – ALL people are encouraged to participate.
Walking group leaders are recruited from the communities surrounding the parks and receive training from We Walk PHL program staff. Walks take place 1-3 days per week at each site, and last around an hour.
The fall season of We Walk PHL will run from September 21st – October 31st, 2020.
Walks will take place at the following parks:
- Clark Park: 43rd and Baltimore
- East Fairmount Park
- FDR Park
- Hunting Park
- Lanier Playground
- Pennypack on the Delaware
- Rose Playground
- Tacony Creek Park
- Vernon Park
- West Fairmount Park
Join the WeWalkPHL Facebook group to stay up to date and connected!
1. Clark Park: 43rd and Baltimore
Mondays and Fridays @ 8:30am
2. East Park @ Kelly Drive: Starting at Boathouse Row
Fridays @ 6pm
3. East Park @ Mander Recreation Center: 2140 N 33rd Street
Mondays @ 6pm
Wednesdays @ 8am
4. FDR Park: Meet at the Boathouse
Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays @ 8:30 am
5. Hunting Park: Meet at the Rec Center
Tuesdays and Thursdays @ 8:30am, Saturdays at 9am
6. Lanier Park: 29th and Morris
Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays @ 7:00am
7. Pennypack on the Delaware: From State Road, take Pennypack Path Road to the parking area
Tuesdays @ 5:30pm; Saturdays @ 9:00am
8. Rose Playground: 1300 N 75th Street
Saturdays and Sundays @ 8:00am, Mondays @ 5:00pm
9. Tacony Creek Park:
Mondays 9am @ Bingham Street Gateway
Saturdays @ 10am at Whitaker Avenue Gateway
10. Vernon Park: 5800 Germantown Avenue
Wednesdays and Saturdays @ 8:00am
11. West Park @ Concourse Lake:
Saturdays @ 8am
To help protect the health of all participants, please thoroughly read and follow the new normal walking guidance below:
- Register for the We Walk PHL program prior to your 1st walk.
- Please pre-register for each walk that you plan to attend.
- Only attend walks within a 10-mile radius of your house.
- Wear a face covering that completely covers your mouth and nose during the walk.
- Wash your hands before the walk and frequently throughout the day.
- Carry either alcohol-based hand sanitizer or biodegradable soap on your person during the walk.
- Maintain a minimum of a 6-foot distance from other walkers throughout the walk.
- Be willing to adjust to a change in plans if the park is crowded.
- Registration is capped at 20 walkers for larger parks and fewer at smaller parks.
- Complete the wellness check as instructed on the registration page the morning of the walk.
- Stay home if experiencing any symptoms associated with COVID-19.
- If you experience any associated COVID-19 symptoms, are exposed to someone who tests positive, or test positive within 14 days after the walk, please report this to the walk leader or program administrators.
- Refrain from using public restrooms or carpooling.
We recognize that we are still in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. If you are seeking other resources to deal with the impact of COVID-19 here are a few.
- For the latest information on COVID-19 in Philadelphia visit phila.gov/COVID-19
- Text COVIDPHL to 888-777 to receive COVID-19 updates to your phone
- Call the 24/7 Greater Philadelphia Coronavirus Helpline to speak with a health care professional at 1-800-722-7112